Good things take time
What is Sculptra?
Once we reach our thirties, our natural collagen production begins to decline, resulting in fine lines, wrinkles, and duller and sagging skin. Think of Sculptra like the fertilizer your skin needs to improve skin quality. It helps to produce collagen and start the rejuvenation process. Collagen is the skin’s most important support protein, giving skin firmness, fullness, and a youthful look. Sculptra is one of the best kept secrets to naturally age gracefully!
What to expect with Sculptra?
After an initial consultation, we will schedule a time for you to come into the office for the treatment. On treatment day, we may administer a topical numbing cream to alleviate discomfort. Plus, we add Lidocaine to Sculptra for further comfort during the process. Then, our skilled practitioner will inject the Sculptra solution into the areas discussed.
What areas can be treated with Sculptra?
The most common areas to treat with Sculptra include the temples, cheeks, smile lines, and jawline.
How should I prepare for treatment?
- This treatment is not recommended if you have an important event within 2 weeks of injection due to potential for bruising.
- Treatment is not recommended while taking an antibiotic. Please inform our office if you are on any antibiotic so we can reschedule.
- Avoid herbal supplements such as Ginkgo, green tea, garlic, turmeric, St. John’s wort, fish oil, flaxseed oil, and vitamin A and E for 1 week prior to treatment as they increase risk of bruising and swelling at the injection site.
- If permitted by your doctor, avoid anti-inflammatories (Aspirin, Ibuprofen, Motrin, Advil, Naproxen, Celebrex) of any kind for 1 week before treatment to limit bruising. If you are taking prescription blood thinners such as Coumadin or Plavix, you should check with your prescribing doctor before stopping any prescribed medications.
- Avoid alcohol for 48 hours prior to treatment (alcohol is a blood thinner).
- Come to your Sculptra appointment with a clean face. This means no make-up to help prevent the risk of infection.
- Eat a small meal or a snack before your appointment.
- Take Tylenol as needed one hour before your appointment to help with any discomfort you may have.
- You may take Arnica tablets 2-3 days prior to treatment to help boost the healing process.
- Avoid applying potentially irritating products onto the skin 1 week before and after treatment (tretinoin/retin-a, glycolic acid, benzoyl peroxide, hydroquinone).
- You are not a candidate for Sculptra if you are pregnant or nursing.
What is my post-treatment care plan?
- Massage the treated area for 5 minutes, 5 times a day for 5 days after treatment.
- AVOID excess sunlight and UV exposure. Protecting your skin from the sun is always important, but after treatment, excessive sunlight and UV lamp exposure should be avoided until any initial swelling and redness go away. Apply SPF 30+ when going outdoors.
- Apply cold compresses on the treated areas gently for about 3-5 minutes a few times on treatment day.
- You may take Acetaminophen/Tylenol if you experience any mild tenderness/discomfort.
- After treatment, there will be moderate swelling and redness with the possibility of bruising. These symptoms will resolve in about 1-2 weeks.
- You may apply Arnica gel or take Arnica tablets to help decrease the amount of bruising. Drink fresh pineapple juice, and/or take Bromelain supplements to help reduce tenderness and swelling..
- Avoid strenuous workouts and activity for 48 hours to reduce swelling and bruising.
- Avoid laser, IPL, or skin tightening treatments to the area for at least 4 weeks.
- You may continue your topical products as mentioned above 1 week after injection.
- A few days after treatment, you will look as you did before treatment. This is normal; over time, Sculptra will replace lost collagen.
When will I see results?
You can expect to see results within a few months. The Sculptra process isn’t a quick fix or instant gratification. Sculptra results are natural, gradual, and long-lasting (24+ months). The longevity of Sculptra makes it a more sustainable option when natural and gradual is the priority. No one will be able to tell exactly what you have done, except they will notice that you look more refreshed, vibrant, and well-rested.
Love professional-grade skincare and instant savings?
Check out our financial resources + Beauty Lab favorites!